Re: birds and other critters

Marge, it's not so much open fields - we do have an open area but it gets
smaller and smaller as trees close in.  We are fortunate to have a small pond
(shared with the neighbor behind us) and to be adjacent to a wooded area of
the Blue Mountain Reservation - a county property.  The pond is small - less
than 1/2 acre - but the mallards come every year and the kingfishers seem to
find it very attractive.  I forgot to mention the Canadas that also come - I
always hope they won't stay because they make such a mess.  They usually
decide not to nest here, and after a week or so of hanging out in the spring,
they move on.  One year a pair nested beside the pond and were very defensive
- wouldn't let us go that way at all - but something disrupted the nest and
there were no little Canadas.
Also, I didn't mention that we have, on occasion, seen an eagle.  They are
definitely in the area - local papers have been picturing them this winter,
but we've been seeing them for several years now.
We're really very rustic even though part of the great "metropolitan sprawl."