Re: chipmunks and squirrels

There were black squirrels in Washington DC when I worked there. I recall there is a town in the midwest (maybe even IL) that has a colony of white squirrels.
Cathy
On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 05:27 AM, Kitty wrote:

A slight change of topic here, but....
Growing up in Chicago and Fort Wayne, all I ever saw were golden/reddish
brown squirrels. Then I saw grey squirrels in Bloomington, IN. And up in
Guelph ON I saw black squirrels. So I thought the colors were regional
albeit in an odd sort of way. However, recently right here in Fort
Wayne, I've begun seeing black squirrels on the Southwest end of town
where I work, while nothing but the brown ones on the northeast end
where I live (1/2 hr apart) Is this odd?

What color are your squirrels?

Kitty

-------Original Message-------
From: Marge Talt <mtalt@hort.net>
Sent: 02/18/03 12:06 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] chipmunks  was: birds and other critters

Well, curiosity finally won and did a little Googling for chippers.
Found this Canadian site with good info. plus a map of N. America
showing the range of the - would you believe - 21 species that live
on this continent!

http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/hww-fap/hww-fap.cfm?ID_species=56&lang=e

Map shows why you don't have them, Andrea and why they aren't found
in S. CA...

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

From: Andrea H <hodgesaa@islc.net>

Marge-we don't have chipmunks here, but did when I lived in the
upper part
of the state. So my guess is they stop somewhere mid-South
Carolina. Don't
know why we don't have them here. Too hot?