the recent political discussion

Hello gardening friends--

I want to thank those of you who have written to me asking me to stay on the
list.  That was kind.  Pam suggested I sleep on my decision, and that I have
done.

When we started using this list it was understood that there was no 'off
topic', and so I was prepared for that.  But nothing in my make-up prepares
me to accept junk e-mail that fuels hate in the world.  I came of age during
the civil rights era, and have worked my entire life to fight discrimination
whenever it touched my family's life or a community I lived in.  I see that
while I was sleeping, some have you have discovered, as I did the first time
I saw this e-mail, that it is a fraud.  I guess it's good to reject it on
that basis, but I would feel better about the future of our country if you
had rejected it because it was obviously premised on fear and hate.  It's
the same premise that prejudice has always had:  if some Saudis hurt us,
then all Saudis are bad and deserve to be hurt by us.  Stereotyping to
engender hate and fear of a whole group, then suggesting action to act it
out.  Every step we take in the direction takes Al Qaeda closer to victory.

So that is why I reacted strongly to the junk e-mail.  I agree with some of
you who have said it is natural for a group like this one to want to discuss
major events and air our feelings.  There is merit in that, but this went
beyond the limits I can endure without expressing my feelings.

I think I will still leave the list.  I am too busy and too grouchy right
now to contribute positively.  Perhaps in the spring I'll decide to come
back.  My best to you all.

Linda in SE Wyoming