Re: birds and other critters

If you had a large pond, what you do is provide a nesting area in the center by anchoring a "raft" of some sort in the middle. People here construct a platform of wood maybe 3x3ft and place an old tire in the center. There is almost always a goose safely nesting on it.
On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 12:17 AM, Marge Talt wrote:

Well, I am truly jealous of your pond!  One of my fondest dreams.
It's amazing how open areas get closed in after a few years...I
actually used to have some sunny gardens once upon a time that are
now very shady....trees just keep on growin'.

I know geese are messy as all get out, but they are such beautiful
birds...always wanted one.  Mallards would also be very nice.  I'm
not sure how well water birds would do around here, even if I had a
pond large enough to attract them, because we do have a goodly number
of fox....but I keep dreaming anyway:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :

From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com

Marge, it's not so much open fields - we do have an open area but
it gets
smaller and smaller as trees close in.  We are fortunate to have a
small pond
(shared with the neighbor behind us) and to be adjacent to a wooded
area of
the Blue Mountain Reservation - a county property.  The pond is
small - less
than 1/2 acre - but the mallards come every year and the
kingfishers seem to
find it very attractive.  I forgot to mention the Canadas that also
come - I
always hope they won't stay because they make such a mess.  They
decide not to nest here, and after a week or so of hanging out in
the spring,
they move on.  One year a pair nested beside the pond and were very
- wouldn't let us go that way at all - but something disrupted the
nest and
there were no little Canadas.
Also, I didn't mention that we have, on occasion, seen an eagle.
They are
definitely in the area - local papers have been picturing them this
but we've been seeing them for several years now.
We're really very rustic even though part of the great
"metropolitan sprawl."