Re: birds and other critters now NE PA

Such a shallow lake! Most of our farm ponds are deeper here.
Cathy, west central IL, z5b
On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 07:22 AM, Maria Olshin wrote:

Pam, I'm in Pocono Summit, and the lake is Stillwater Lake. It's one of the
largest in the area and is shared by a private community and a Boy Scout
camp. Before the age of refrigeration, there was an ice-cutting plant here
that supplied New York City. Strange lake; it's said to be glacial in
origin, and the average depth is 4.75 feet, the deepest part is 8 feet. We
have large- and small-mouth bass, pickerel, bluegills and crayfish (too
small to eat). More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.

Maria - what lake - where are you in NE PA??

The lake here is 315 acres, and lots of migratory waterfowl stop here. I've
seen ruddy duck, buffleheads, goldeneyes, mergansers and cormorants, among
others, but the most exciting sighting was a flock of loons. I counted 38 of
them! There are also great blue and green herons and kingfishers. I
occasionally see rose-breasted grosbeaks at my feeder, and just once, an
indigo bunting. I've also seen quite a few eastern bluebirds in NE PA, but
not at this elevation. There are bald eagles in the area, too. Auralie, have
you ever heard that there are peregrines nesting on the George Washington
Bridge? I think they live quite well on the pigeons in NYC.

There is a rapidly growing population of resident Canadas here, and the
Animal Control officer finds as many nests as he can in the spring and
shakes the eggs vigorously, then puts them back. It prevents the parents
from laying more eggs to replace broken or stolen ones. Unfortunately, he
misses more than he finds. It wouldn't be so bad if I only had to watch my
step in the yard, but my dog has goose poop radar, and she's on it like
white on rice. Groshem as they never
land here:-) I've never seen a scarlet tanager; lucky you!

When we first built here and things were a tad more open, we had a
few red-wings, but they don't like woods, so don't come now. The
mocking birds aren't as numerous as they were for the same
reason...they like more open areas best; actually, same with the
starlings. Used to have a resident family, but only see them in
flocks in winter now when snow covers everything as they like grassy
areas to hunt in. I have seen red tailed hawks, but not on the
property...we seem to have a resident pair of red-shouldered hawks as
they are seen pretty regularly sitting in trees looking down for
rodents (they can have all they want...I encourage them...'catch
voles...catch voles'...all I can:-)) Not so thrilled when they
decide to hunt at the feeders! But they are magnificent birds.
To sign-off this list, sendve been seeing them for several years now.
We're really very rustic even though part of the great "metropolitan
sprawl."

Auralie

In a message dated 02/17/2003 11:55:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
That is remarkable, Auralie. You must have some open fields and
water near you to have red-wing blackbirds, kingfishers, mallards and
heron. I get a flock of Canada geese flying over every evening on
their way to the Potomac River, but can't claim them as they never

--
Pam Evans
Kemp TX/zone 8A