From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of David Franzman
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 12:31 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Bulletin: Banana famine

A state of emergency has been called as a result of the complete
destruction of this year's banana crop in Northern California due to
frost.  What promised to be a banner year in the first year of fruit
harvesting has turned to disaster.  Said farmer Franzman:  "The entire
bunch was wiped out!  It's a complete loss.  Nothing left but a gushy,
black mess!  I guess my family will have to tighten our belts and try
again next year.  Thank God for government subsidies."  The distraught
would-be farmer hinted that he might be through with banana production
in the future when asked about the sagacity of growing a tropical fruit
in N. California.  Said farmer Franzman "You know, you might be right
about that.  I hadn't thought of it.  Maybe I should try lechee nuts
instead."

Story by AP

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name
of dfranzma.vcf]