Re: birds, other critters, and boobys

have you seen [and remember] that pbs "nature" episode titled "the boobys of midway"? mostly it is a comic romp about the clumsiness of the albatross and the equal clumsiness of the military in trying to deal the masses of birds that bed down everywhere. there is one very funny sequence where a golfer hits a ball down a fairway and as soon as it stops rolling, a booby hustles over and begins to set it. the golfer nudges her off with his club, but before he can swing, she's gotten back on it. don't know if the rules let you play a mulligan in that instance, but they should.

At 07:20 PM 2/18/03 -0500, you wrote:
In a message dated 02/18/2003 7:10:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
marolsh@ptd.net writes:

> . Auralie, have
> you ever heard that there are peregrines nesting on the George Washington
> Bridge? I think they live quite well on the pigeons in NYC.

Yes, and quite a few other places around the city.  But there are still
pigeons to spare.

On the matter of Canada goose eggs, I've also heard that painting the eggs
with vegetable oil will suffocate the embryos within.  Don't know this for a
fact. They have become a real problem in some areas around here.  One
down-county town hires sheep-dogs to herd them out of the local town park.  A
golf course north of here had a law-suit from a woman who broke her leg when
she fell over the golf cart running from a goose.  (I wondered which one was
the goose.)