Re:Cyclamen hardiness was: new purchases

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@earthlink.net>
> But I do think a few varieties of Cyclamen have a chance of making
> here, especially if they're well-sited and attention is paid to
> protection and culture as both Marge and Gene have related. It's
worth a
> try.

Most definitely worth a try, Kitty.  Nothing ventured; nothing
gained.  I have gone through my Cyclamen files and compiled assorted
posts having to do with hardiness which I am copying and pasting to
give you encouragement;-)  Above the [quote] is the person who
posted...these either came from Cyclamen list or probably Alpine-L
and some of the "quotes" have been edited a bit to remove stuff that
was extraneous to the topic.

Martyn Denney, Honorary Secretary, Cyclamen Society:
[The most common garden species such as C. coum and C. hederifolium
are generally very accommodating and will tolerate a wide range of
growing conditions with the one definite exception of the lethal
combination of very wet and very cold.  Both are bone hardy -
especially hederifolium -and will survive -10 or -15c, but not if
they are also very wet - by which I mean more waterlogged, not merely
damp. In woodland, they should both thrive provided the layer of
fresh leaves does not become so thick that it cuts all light and

George Marcus,  Ottawa, Ontario:
[For the information of whomever may be interested, the following
species of cyclamen have survived and bloomed annually in my garden
in Ottawa (US zone 4) for several years:   cilicium,  coum,
hederifolium and purpurescens. The last, grown from ordinary
commercial seed, has tended to bloom continuously form July until
frost. Cyclamen coum's flowers, unfortunately, are often hidden under
snow here.]
Gerald Taaffe, Ottawa, Canada, US Zone 4:
[For the record, Cyclamen hederifolium and C. purpurascens have been
consistently hardy in well drained places here in my Zone 4 garden.
C. coum has been hardy most years as well, but can be damaged by an
early onset of very cold temperatures.]

Dr John T Lonsdale, Exton, PA (my comment - recognized expert on
assorted bulbous plants - just heard excellent lecture by him about a
month ago):
[We are in the midst of a cold spell, with a low around 3F (-16C) in
the garden (no snow cover).  Cyclamen in the garden (hederifolium,
coum, cilicium, trochopteranthum and purpurascens) are unfazed
although the leaves on the hederifolium var. confusum are distinctly
browned and pretty unhappy. ]

Louise Parsons (PNW):
[Microclimate can be a prevailing factor anyway.  For example,
overhead tree canopy can prevent some terrestrial heat accumulated
during winter days (low sun angle = earth warming beneath them) from
radiating into space at night.  This can be so strong a factor as to
"up" your zone a notch or two. (then she quoted): Grey-Wilson lists
the following as being frost-hardy:  C. cilicium, coum (ssp.coum and
caucasicum), hederifolium, parviflorum, pseudoibericum, and
purpurascens.  He states that C. hederifolium has been known to
survive temperatures as low as -30C (-22F)]

Don't know who posted this in response to query about growing
Cyclamen at high elevations in Lake Tahoe:
[In NE Turkey coum is present from very low altitudes, almost at sea
level,and very warm and wet being on the Black sea coast, but then it
occurs at very  high altitudes on both the Zigana and Kose passes
over the watershed where the winters are fierce with very low temp.
and lots of snow. Near lake Abant well inland it appears with
crocuses, corydalis and galanthus in the spring.

At these higher levels they both occur in pine woods and on open
hillsides In both cases the higher plants grow in extreme conditions
with long winter snow cover and  quite dry summers. I have found them
emerging in flower from snow patches in early May in perfect

Again looking at c.repandum in the pelopennese in the Langada gorge
growing with c. hederifolium, this is covered in snow all winter
emerging to flower in the spring, and then has a dry summer.]

Bob Nold, Denver, Colorado:
[Although I would never use the word "normally" with reference to
anything having to do with "outdoors" here, Cyclamen coum was seen
blooming here last Monday, March 11. It has snowed three times since
then. I imagine it will be briefly visible tomorrow before it snows
again, and on and off all next week in between the usual blizzards.
Another population here, in less sun right now, starts to bloom a
little later and is also briefly visible during those rare occasions
when it isn't snowing.]

Jim Hatchett, Eagle Idaho, Zone5:
[All of the above, C.cuom, C.purperescens, C. hederifolium(a real
unruly plant)C.cilcium grow and expand to the point of having to be
weeded out periodically here in Idaho.....I grow in partial shade in
acidic duff overlying somewhat alkaline mineral soil......One other
Item that may be important is that we are quite dry from fall to late
winter and then the moisture comes in the form of snow such that the
growing medium is somewhat dry.]

Nina Lambert, Ithaca, New York z5:
[C. coum has naturalized itself out-doors here, persistently melting
the snow crust in March and April even during those decades when we
had Zone IV weather (-30 F).]

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :