RE: lavendula officinalis question

That's English Lavender and, yes, it's hardy in Z5a.  L. officinalis is an
old synonym for angustifolia.  You'll usually see L.o. used for herbal
write-ups and L.a. used for ornamentals.  The new Herb A-Z says the spikes
are 3inches long, plant height 24-28 in, width 3ft.  If you're getting a
lavender, you might prefer one of the many cultivars.