Re: birds, eagle/heron, or delete

this is my bald eagle/blue heron story. if you've read it a dozen times before, accept my apology and hit the delete button.

it was a warm day in winter, the short one and i had just purchased a new convertible [her mid-life chrysler], and we were driving through blackwater wildlife refuge with the top down. blackwater is on the chesapeake bay out of cambridge, maryland. the road through the refuge is essentially a big loop and we were on the back side of the loop. on the driver's side of the road was a swale with maybe a foot or so of water in it.

we marvelled to see, a short way ahead of us a great blue heron fishing the swale and--as we watched, it caught a fish! but just as we were congratulating ourselves on such a witnessing [and by now we were nearly abreast of the heron], we heard a most blood-curdling scream. and there, maybe 10 feet from the car was a bald eagle, flying at the heron, talons and claws in front, and demanding the fish.

the heron [no dummy, of course] dropped the fish. the eagle caught it before it hit the water. and was off. we watched its flight as it headed straight for a tree-top nest maybe 500 yards away.