need a small tree/standard

Hi all-

I dug up a lavender out of a raised be this morning- it was jsut too lanky
there and not the right shape for the space anyway. The  So, I think I'd
like to put in either a small tree (one that never get's more than 8-10 feet
high and 4 ft or so across) or a standard of some kind.  Would like
something that flowers (in any color except pink- it clashes horribly with
the brick on my house).  Preferrably evergreen or one with year-round
interest. But all ideas are welcome.  Oh, and the spot gets plenty of
afternoon (western exposure) sun.

I could always do a small whiteflowering crepe myrtle, but that's kind of
boring. I'd like something more interesting.
So, any suggestions? ideas?

Thanks,

Theresa
Sacramento, CA zone 8-9