Re: advice to new hibiscus growers

Hi Tricia

I've been away for a couple of days so this is the first I've seen your note.
Not the Hib. King for sure but your advice sounds pretty good.  Usually, you
should root hibs in a very light material such as perlite and peat or
comparable.  You don't want the medium to hold water for any length of time.
Plastic bag is good but mist them occassionally and keep it out of sun light.
Misting should be where the cutting gets most of it's moisture. Where do they
live?  You should keep the cuttings above 60 if possible.  Roottone is also a
good bet.  Place the cutting deep enough to cover at least one leaf node...two
if the cutting is big enough.  Takes about 6 weeks for the cutting to root.  If
they get impatient and pull it out to check it they will be starting over.  Once
it roots they'll know it.

Hope that helps.

DF