RE: need a small tree/standard

My mother acquired one from who know where... but it was a stick with
three branches... I kept looking at the leader and it was growing like
mad. Tree looked ridicules, one branch was 15 ft above in the air and
the other two where eye level... So I lobed a good 10 ft. of it off....
so far so good, has not died and now is branching out. My mother about
died.:) told her if it died, I would buy her a new one....

Donna

> David,
> Sorry. But I do agree Redbuds are truly beautiful; my favorite after
> Dogwoods.  I have had 8, purchased at a few different times and coming
> originally from different states.  The ones grown at an OK nursery
shot up
> to a good 40 feet.  The locally grown ones are about 25.  The ones
from TN
> are only about 15-20 ft.  When they get older and the bark is darker
and
> if
> pruned well, they have artful architecture.  Here people will
sometimes
> grow them as a clump.  It just seems they can be quite variable, and
I'd