From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Question re: Astilbe
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:05:02 -0500

Jesse, I have not grown Astilbe in pots, but do not know why it could
not be done if you can keep the soil moist.  Key to just about all
species is soil that does not dry out.  As for a shaded porch - think
it would depend on how shaded.  As Donna pointed out, they will grow
in full sun in continually wet soil. They need more shade in the
south, but to bloom well, they do need some sun.  If they could get
morning sun for a couple hours a day on your porch, they would
probably do just fine in a pot of good rich soil that stayed moist or
which you could water daily.

I had them in my borders, lingering on unhappily for years (and dying
out on me periodically) and finally moved all but one to my damp
garden, where they are happy as clams because that soil never dries
out.

I say get a couple and try them.  If the porch is too shaded, in pots
you can move them out to more sun...put a saucer under the pot to
catch and hold water if it's too hard to keep them watered in the
heat of summer.  You'll never know until you give it a go.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :