Re: lavendula officinalis ..now hydrangeas

Kitty, It sounds as tho you have educated yourself re hydrangeas. I had not
read about the Hovaria types. In an article by Ann wilson in Garden Design
she quotes th e Morton Arboretum as saying the macrophylla and serrata
varieties are unreliable bloomers. Would you agree ? When Floyd Giles
addressed our MG class back in '94 he told us 'Annabelle' was the only one
worth growing in our area. So that's the one I recommend to clients. However
the man was so opinionated about other things that I am doubtful. Also he was
associated with U of I and 'Annabelle' was evidently developed there. I
planted  a couple 'Nikko' types here some time ago and they are limping
along. As you can tell I am unsure every time the question of hydrangeas
comes up. Would love to know what varieties do well in this area..especially
ones that do well in landscaping the average yard..not too lanky, nice
foliage, reliable bloomer, doesn't require special pruning, special feeding,
etc. Kathyz5b