RE: Question re: Astilbe

To those using perennials in containers.... how are you overwintering
them? I have always been worried I would lose them when the roots froze
above ground, ie in the pot. Do you insulate the pots, transplant for
the winter? Somewhere I either heard or read that you had to allow 2
zones hardier for them to survive. Truth or fiction?

BTW, your container sounds awesome Ceres....

Donna

> Jesse, I love to use the unusal in a  container planting however I
would
> suggest other plants to provide interest.  Astilbe foliage is not that
> interesting by itself when not in bloom.  The astilbe I have in my
garden
> do
> not bloom for very long.  In addition, may I suggest a painted fern at
the
> edge of the container so it may spill over the side, a hosta (Halcyon
is
> one
> I like to use, great substance and will pull the blue from the fern)
or