Re: garage overwintering

Linda,
I'm not much of a pot person during the season - in fact, I unpot my few
houseplants and plant them directly in the soil for the summer. (They
really seem to enjoy this) But come fall, the tenders have to come in.
The tender bulbs are dug and potted and allowed to yellow before putting
in the garage, out of the light. They don't get watered again until I
want to bring them out of dormancy or they decide this on their own (as
evidenced by my Tulbahia deciding to bloomon the garage bench in
January)

The tender perennials, though, are on the counter in front of the
south-facing window. I check them periodically to be sure they don't get
too dry. don't want to rot them with too much water, but they do need
some. The houseplants get to come back in the house.

A lot depends on the particular needs of the plants and this I learn as
I go. I found that in the case of Persian Shield, Strobilanthes
dyerianus, digging up the shrub itself, is of little value; it's too
woody by this time. Better to start in late summer taking cuttings to
overwinter - in the house, not the garage. By March, the cuttings are
plenty big enough to take a second set of cuttings from them.

More than you asked, but sometimes there's not a simple answer.;+)
Kitty