Re: Question re: Astilbe

Hello Tricia,
    Yes, we do move the containers to a protected spot. We have a place
behind the garage out of the prevailing winter winds. We make a "room" of
bales of straw the size we need each early winter, them move the pots into
this holding area. Large pots in the middle, the smaller ones out near the
bales. Sometimes we stuff leaves in between the containers, but do not cover
the tops. Want them to breathe and not get soggy during the cold. I do not
remember loosing anything in this manner that was perennial to begin with.
    In another month we will get the containers out, begin to move them into
position. Too early to go for the tender perennials and annuals as yet. If
your variegated vinca is all that aggressive, why not place it in a large
container for trailing with one of the big blue hosta?
    Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5  Southern Indiana