From: TeichFlora@aol.com
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Questions, please...
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:56:36 EST

I have a few questions.....maybe someone can give me some info, please?

First, I have had African violets on my office window sill for over 10 years.
They were gorgeous, getting larger, etc. Some which I got that were
hybridized by friends, etc. Unfortunately somehow mealy bugs got in (NO clue
how) and destroyed most of them all. I tried everything from dabbing
alcohol, to spraying. Those that survived all that did well, and noticed the
other day that they are back and killed off the rest of my AF's except two.
Please help!!!!!

Second, went to a nursery last weekend to get some tomato and pepper
plants.......saw a shrub called Pieris "Temple Bells". Anyone familiar with
this plant?? I looked in my books, many Pieris, some hardy only to zone 8,
others to zone 9.....however, no mention of "temple Bells". Anyone have any

Third.....sorry, I'm just full of questions today (LOL).....someone mentioned
to me lately that there is a relatively new variety of Crepe Myrtle out that
has red bark, supposed to be very ornamental and lovely winter interest due
to the color. Anyone have any more info on this plant??

Too add a bit of warmth to winter.....we were fortunate not to have gotten
the freeze, sleet, snow etc. that seemed to plague the rest of Texas
recently. So we were lucky. Spring has sprung here in SE Tx. Citrus and
Nectarine blooming. Also, Daffodills all up and blooming, spring
wildflowers, Camelias and Redbuds blooming, and trees getting leaves like

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast