Re: weather rant was: just checking

Don't be jealous, Donna.  I supposedly live in the south and all is
under 18" to 24" of frozen snow at the moment....most of the garden
is a billowing sea of white with the odd top of a shrub or left over
stem sticking out of deeper mounds...what's really odd is that the18"
or so left over from our big storm will bear my weight - can't
remember that happening before.  It's very strange to be walking 18"
off the ground:-)

Only the *deep* south can think Roundup right now:-)

Don't tell me yet another bleedin' snow storm is heading this way.
You guys in the midwest can keep it, thank you very much!  I am sick
and tired of shoveling (spent about 4 hours doing that today to clear
the drive and walk of the 8" we got yesterday).

I had this vision in early winter of getting all my pruning done in
the month of February.  HA!  At the rate we're going, that snow won't
even be melted by June.  I've got some piles nearly 4' high that are
going to take a looong time to melt.

This is the worst winter I can remember since 1975.  My poor
Galanthus, generally blooming their heads off all of January, are
completely buried and before that happened, had not one flower - only
buds....Lord only knows what's happened to my Hellebores....they're
somewhere under that stuff; haven't seen them for weeks.  While the
snow does insulate plants, I know there is going to be a lot of
damage to the taller evergreen perennials - my poor H. argutifolius
are flattened.  Think all chance of flowers from them is gone, as I
know those main stems won't recover - when I last saw them, they were
really bent; just hope the plants will live.  The exposed parts of
Euphorbia characias look awful; they may be history.

I can't even bear to think about my carnivorous plants, esp. my one
poor little venus fly trap who is native to S.C.; keep telling myself
that surely they experience freak snowstorms and cold periods in
their native haunts...hopefully they will survive.  Oh, I can moan on
forever about this winter!

Local paper noted that this time last year, it was 70F
here....sigh....our normal highs this time of year are in the 50s F.
50F would seem like a heat wave compared to what we've been getting.

I don't understand how you guys who live north of me, where this kind
of weather is what you usually get can stand it!!!!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :