Re: Bamboo and Chicago / Cane

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Bamboo and Chicago / Cane
  • From: "Gene Bush" <genebush@otherside.com>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 09:04:39 -0500

Hello Cathy,
    I have had Cane or native bamboo on the property here for 25 years. It
was here when I purchased the property. I was told by a neighbor that his
grandmother used to cut her pipe stems from the stand... so heaven only
knows how long the stand has been here. Right at the edge of the woods along
a drainage ditch. Only in the last few years has it spread a bit. Certainly
nothing I would think of as invasive. But it is a fairly large plant and
requires some space. I would not place it in a small garden and expect it to
never expand, or only form a couple of new stems each spring.
    I like it so I have left it... now I am getting requests for the plant
when people visit and realize what it is.
    Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com