Re: ponds/plants/geese

Long Island has an unusually huge overpopulation of Canadian Geese.  Because
they are classified under federal law as migratory birds, it is illegal to
kill them.  But here they are not "migratory."  It is as if they showed up one
year, and they never leave.  They just stay and multiply.  They don't fly south,
as they are supposed to.  Just about everywhere you go, you see them.  Many
times they hold up traffic while they cross or just stand and stare in the
middle of the road.  Again, its a violation of federal law to harm them, so they
stop traffic & cause grid lock on local streets.

I believe that at one point (last year or so), they got an exemption and were
allowed to declare "open season" on them to reduce the population.  I had
heard that the birds that were killed were used to feed the homeless.

Long Island, NY
Zone 6/7

"We don't do enough to exploit renewable energy resources."

In a message dated 2/1/2004 6:53:15 AM Pacific Standard Time,