From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:35:46 -0500
Subject: [CHAT] trees and other design elements

I think many people are influenced by the media as to what their home
should<br>look like. Check the magazines. You're *supposed* to have a
patio and<br>landscaping. So they have it done even if using it doesn't
appeal to them.<br>I believe landscapers often realize that their
clients just want the pretty<br>picture with low maintenance and that
the broad expanse of sunlit lawn still<br>rates highly with their
customers. So they give them what they want. And,<br>as has been
mentioned, many people are afraid of doing things out of the<br>ordinary
for fear of repercussions to property value. Your area is<br>relatively
new and upscale and it would seem to me that most buyers would<br>not
want to take big chances.<br><br>Which makes me think of a recent
community issue here. As our city expands,<br>new developments go up in
every direction. Occasionally this will include<br>new apartment
complexes or retirement communities. One national chain built<br>a
lovely complex of retirement apartments with the building' sided in
their<br>trademark soft yellow w/white trim. The nieghbors were up in
arms!<br>meetings called! petitions to the city to force them to change
the color to<br>blend with the neighborhood! How could they side the
comlex in that gaudy<br>brash color when everything else - absolutely
Original Message ----- <br>From: "Donna "
<justme@prairieinet.net><br>To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Saturday,
January 31, 2004 11:36 AM<br>Subject: RE: [CHAT] update on garden/bottle
neighbors I see are<br>> the kids... all adults do not come out of their
homes... maybe a peak<br>> out the window, but sadly, not one enjoys the
fresh air. At first I<br>> thought it was due to working inside getting
unpacked- but 5 years down<br>> the line- they are still not outside:(
One had a nice brick patio with<br>> an open covering, bought nice patio
furniture, had a landscaper come

in<br>> and did plant some trees and shrubs.... have never once seen
them out<br>> there.... they even have a lawn service cut the grass and
Bonnie & Bill Morgan<br>> > Donna, I think you will inspire others in
your area to plant trees.<br>> Just<br>> > give neighbors a little time
in the hot sun before inviting them into<br>> your<br>> > shade under a
lovely tree and they will see the

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com