Re: Iraq/ VA hospitals

First my apologies for my posting to have gone through more than once.

Ceres,  I was not talking about VA hospitals. BAMC is not a VA hospital.
Obviously we were talking about two different types of hospitals, thanks for
clearing this up.
I agree with your views on VA hospitals.  Rank has little to do with it
though, but there is a major distinction placed on someone that gave their life
(retired) or someone that only put in a few years.  There should not be, but
there is.  Much has to do with economic status.  Most veterans are able to hold
jobs, so have health insurance through their jobs.
Unfortunately, the veterans that were wounded badly enough...physically or
mentally....are the ones that are not able to hold jobs and are the ones that go
to the VA hospitals....especially the Vietnam Veterans.

Things have gotten better in recent years through efforts of the various
military organizations that have lobbied in Washington for more funding, better
care, etc. I can't speak for other areas, but this is apparent here in Texas
with many brand new VA hospitals having been built in the past decade. I've been
to three of these, and find them to be excellent facilities.   In the past
month former Pres. Bush was at a ground breaking ceremony here in Houston for a
Fisher house to be built on the VA Hospital complex to house the families of
those veterans that are from further away and can't afford hotel costs.    San
Antonio has two of these facilities, which are full now with families of
soldiers from Iraq.   So much is improving, but unfortunately there is much to go.

Richard made the point that most people don't realize these problems until it
hits their home town, or comes to light through a conflict situation.
Awareness brings forth change.
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 2/2/2004 7:56:47 PM Central Standard Time,