Re: blooming/lychee

Jim, I have my lychee growing as a bonsai.  So far it has not ever set fruit,
but haven't had it long enough either, don't think.  As you know, regular
bonsai type plants don't do well in our climate, had tried for
years......eventually someone in the bonsai society here suggested a book, "Bonsai in your Home,
an Indoor Grower's Guide".   Misleading name though....it is basically a book
for Bonsai in warmer regions, explaining the training and growing of plants
for warm areas, many of which we already grow anyway.  It is easy to follow and
has many suggestions for plants that can be used....Lychee among these.   In
this book it shows various sub tropical and tropical fruit trees fruiting.

My first attempt after getting the book was to bonsai my limequat that I had
for years.  It did set fruit a year or so later.   Since then I've done quite
a few, among these are a lychee, longan, tamarind, and "monkey tree" which I
recently found out is very popular tree in Vietnam for New Years.  Saw many in
bonsai form at the Chinese New Year celebrations here in Houston....inquired
to be told it is called "Vietnam Happy New Year tree"...finally found out it is
none other than the Ochna serrulata. Found that to be very interesting.

I recieved seeds from Mario in Costa Rica last year for the Carombola
"starfruit", quite a few came up, so will try some of these as bonsai, since they are
also mentioned in the book as making excellent bonsai.  So we shall see....

By the way, Jim, do you have an easy fool proof method for sexing a Papaya
tree???

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 2/5/2004 9:44:49 AM Central Standard Time,