Re: tax/public schools

In a message dated 2/5/04 11:19:04 AM, gardenqueen@gbronline.com writes:

<< Down here they spend way too much
time and money on football >>

Pam, in our area and would assume this would be true in Texas, football
supports its self and other less profitable sports. My granddaughters attend a
school that generally make to state thus receive monies that fund other activities
such as drama, debate, etc.  I do think sports are very important in the
development of a well rounded student. I think there are students that live for
sports and is an incentive to keep their grades up. Sports have great learning
opportunities but as most things they do often have a negative side.  My
granddaughters are involved in school sponsored volleyball, basketball, golf,
cheerleading (which is now considered a sport) and softball so they are in sports at
all times of the year and over lapping at times yet they are honor students.
Golf was a sport they began to play at age 3 and played as a family and
competed in non-school competition (golf is only offered at hi school level).  This
is a sport that they will always be able to enjoy.
    Swimming is a great sport but seldom gets much attention.  This is a
sport that is ill attended, no chearleaders but one that requires much hard work
and gruesome practices. My son was a competitive swimmer with 6 am winter time
swims.  This is another sport that one can enjoy for life.  Unfortunately my
granddaughters attend a small school which does not offer this opportunity.
    Ceres