From: james singer [mailto: jsinger@igc.org]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:08:05 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT]tax/public schools

Hi, Ceres. Sorry, but I don't buy that line about football supporting
the <br>New York Times magazine that documented that football is a black
hole <br>in any school's budget. Needless to say, such treasonous
February 5, 2004, at 01:06 PM, Cersgarden@aol.com wrote:<br><br>> In a
message dated 2/5/04 11:19:04 AM, gardenqueen@gbronline.com <br>>
writes:<br>><br>> << Down here they spend way too much<br>> time and
money on football >><br>><br>> Pam, in our area and would assume this
would be true in Texas, football<br>> supports its self and other less
profitable sports. My granddaughters <br>> attend a<br>> school that
generally make to state thus receive monies that fund <br>> other
activities<br>> such as drama, debate, etc. I do think sports are very
important in <br>> the<br>> development of a well rounded student. I
think there are students that <br>> live for<br>> sports and is an
incentive to keep their grades up. Sports have great <br>> learning<br>>
opportunities but as most things they do often have a negative side.
volleyball, <br>> basketball, golf,<br>> cheerleading (which is now
considered a sport) and softball so they <br>> are in sports at<br>> all
times of the year and over lapping at times yet they are honor <br>>
students.<br>> Golf was a sport they began to play at age 3 and played
as a family and<br>> competed in non-school competition (golf is only
offered at hi school <br>> level). This<br>> is a sport that they will
always be able to enjoy.<br>> Swimming is a great sport but seldom gets
much attention. This is <br>> a<br>> sport that is ill attended, no
chearleaders but one that requires much <br>> hard work<br>> and
gruesome practices. My son was a competitive swimmer with 6 am <br>>
winter time<br>> swims. This is another sport that one can enjoy for
life. <br>> Unfortunately my<br>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com