Re: Happy Birthday!

Oh, my immediate family (husband, children) don't forget my birthday. It's my parents and siblings. My husband's family (mother, grandmother, aunts) remember my birthday and I've only been a part of their life for 6 years! You would think my MOTHER would remember for Pete's sake. But, I have to take that back now...when I got home last night my mother, father and sister had left a little bag for me on the table with a gift in it. I was shocked because normally they NEVER remember. So...I have to eat my words. My family never made a big deal over birthdays. So, when I had kids...I started a new tradition. Besides the party...we had helium balloons....one for each year and they got to write their wish on it and let them go after the party. Then, I found out the helium was bad for the environment...and the balloons might be considered "littering" so now we make a wish on a feather, and let it go in the wind...or something along that line. But WE DO birthdays in this family. The day somebody came into this world is a special one.

From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Happy Birthday!
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 12:53:01 -0500

Jesse, I've a friend who's family always forgets her birthday, too, but
that's because it's close to Cmas.  My suggestion for next year:

Every household has a calendar to keep things straight. Start now by taking
a bright oversized star for each family member and writing name & Bdate on
it and glue it to the calendar. Let it be big enough to cover several days
on the calendar - they can peak under the star's points for anything hidden.
If a Bday is at the beginning of a month, place an additional 'preview' star
at the end of the previous month.

You wouldn't be doing this just for yourself.  You'd be teaching your kids
(and husband) to be aware of what's going on around them.  Ask your kids to
imagine how they'd feel if their special day had been forgotten.