Re: Happy Birthday! -- Parenthood

That's for sure!  Jesse, it sounds like you've been a wonderful parent and
role model to these kids.  Teenagers are the worst, but it doesn't last forever.
 BTW, putting them to work is the BEST thing you can do for them.  Soon
they'll be thanking you for the important lessons you are teaching them.

When I was growing up, my dad had one idea about children, that children =
slaves.  My sister & I had so many chores growing up, it WAS like slavery, or at
least it felt like it at the time.  You name it, we had to do it: At age 7 or
8, my dad would chop wood for the fireplace and we had to load it into our
little red wagon and haul it to the garage where we had to neatly stack it.  He
forced us to build the fires in the fireplace too.  We had to wash & wax the
cars and the boat.  We mowed the lawn countless times, cleaned the house, did
the laundry, the dishes, we cooked (sort of).  When the family car(s) needed
fixing, my sister & I were forced to help dad fix it.  When we were teenagers,
dad decided it was time to paint the house.  So my sister & I & 2 friends
painted the 5 bedroom, 2 story ranch, and the garage too.  When my mom & dad wanted
to build a glass porch addition (with hot tub) onto the house, we had to help
build that too.

The result?  My sister & I are actually pretty handy and we have a pretty
solid work ethic, too.

Our younger brothers are not so lucky.  Mom & dad were not at all strict in
raising our younger brothers, in fact they spoiled them rotten.  Now they have
grown up (not really) to be delinquents (dealing & doing drugs & all that).

It's not easy to be tough on them and 'be the bad guy', but it is important,
and they'll thank you for it eventually.

In a message dated 2/9/2004 6:42:39 PM Pacific Standard Time,