Re: basically deer munching was: Amer. Gardener article/Wild Greens

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] basically deer munching was: Amer. Gardener article/Wild Greens
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 23:36:03 -0500

Well, Auralie, does sound like it would be really hard to fence that
bunch.  Have you ever tried Milorganite?  If not, it might be worth a
go as it kept my herd off things for some years.  Only downside is
you have to re-fling it after every rain.  Or maybe some of the
commercial bad tasting/smelling sprays would work on that group of
plants...at least for a while.  Unfortunately nothing works forever
except fencing them out.  I often wished for several rolls of razor
wire!

I have some deciduous azaleas, too, and my deer never bothered them.
But, they basically went for my azaleas starting in late fall and by
that time the deciduous ones had either shed their leaves or the
leaves were pretty old and probably not tasty for the deer.  Once
spring arrived, they went back to eating more of the tender new
growth on things and left my shrubs alone until the next fall.  Of
course, if there weren't an abundance of stuff they liked better,
they would have kept on harassing the shrubs all season!

Some melt around the edges here, but my parking area is still a sheet
of ice.  It's gonna have to be warm enough to melt enough for the
melt water to go somewhere before it refreezes to get rid of this
mess.

Think SPRING!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
>
> Marge, the way most of my azaleas are situated doesn't lend itself
> fencing.  They are massed - about six bushes - around the base of
an old Black Birch
> tree that is growing almost on top of a rock outcropping toward one
side of
> our so-called lawn (at least it's a green, open space).  The
downhill side of
> the cluster has more shade-loving things (several ferns, wild
sarsparilla -
> can't remember the botanical name and I'm too lazy to look it up
right now - and a
> couple of native deciduous azaleas, a small dogwood, etc.), because
there is
> a large White Pine just beyond it. As I have said before, I'm not
> "landscaped."  Things are really sited by where I can dig a hole
among the rocks.  There
> is a very large azalea in front of the house which the deer only
nibble from
> the drive.  None of these are fancy named varieties.  The ones in
back I bought
> the year we moved in here - 1970 - for about $1.00 apiece from a
local store -
> like 3" pots.  They did very well until the deer got so bad about
15 years
> ago.  The one in front was here when we moved in, but just a very
scrawny plant
> with two or three branches.  My DH said we should just yank it out
and replace
> it, but I'm too soft-hearted, and said let it go and see if I can
bring it
> back.  It came back very well and is about 6 feet in all
dimensions.  I have no
> idea what it is - a fairly bright apricot shade.
>
> I have several deciduous azaleas - native species - which the deer
don't seem
> to bother.  The two I know are R. calendulaceum (sp?), and R.
viscosum.  The
> first is a brilliant red-orange, and the viscosum is white and
fragrant.  Both
> bloom much later than the cultivated ones  -  late June or early
July.
> Another is a soft yellow with orange markings.  I  know it's a
native species, but
> I'm not sure which - they do hybridize among themselves.  Then I
have another
> that I have never been able to pin down - deciduous, blooms quite
early, has
> large lavender blooms.  My one good named azalea is a 'Hilda
Niblett' but she