Re: early arrivals - tree peonies

In a message dated 02/09/2004 8:16:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Cersgarden@aol.com writes:

> Bonnie, are you saying it bloomed so early that it was still dark in morn &
> eve?  Both of mine bloom after the garden peonies.

This surprises me, Ceres.  My tree peony blooms a good two weeks before the
herbaceous ones - always has.  Admittedly it is not a fancy named variety -
bought it as a tuber off a rack in a hardware store about twenty-five years ago
for less than five dollars - more than that I couldn't have afforded at that
time.  It bloomed well for several years in the place where I first planted it
beside a large rockface.  Then a dogwood tree grew up in that bed and
completely shaded it.  For a few years it didn't bloom and was in a decline until I
could get someone to help me transplant it.  My DH kept saying don't bother - get
a new one - and so forth, but I'm stubborn.  Once it was transplanted into a
more open spot it began to bloom again - had ten beautiful blooms last season.
 The bush is still small - about 3' x 3', so ten 4-inch blooms made it quite
a sight.  It is a lovely pink with ruffled edges and dark red stamens.
Couldn't be prettier if it had a fancy name.  Auralie