From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Kitty
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 12:23 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] lime loving plants

Here's some googles.....

The limestone makes the soil calcium rich and provides a suitable habitat
for certain lime-loving plants such as Rock Rose, Thyme, Wild Strawberry and
Bottle Sedge. Rarer lime loving plants are Astragalus and Northern Felwort.

Some lime-loving plants such as flowering cherries...

Watch your pH. Trying to grow lime-loving plants (lavender, pinks,
clematis)....

If you have alkaline soil choose lime loving plants,...There are several
varieties of Clematis you will enjoy, hebes are not fussy and poppy's and
meconopsis will run riot in an alkaline garden.

grow lime loving plants ...Some of the most popular alpine plants like the
Edelwei_ (Leontopodium alpinum), the Auricula (Primula auricula) or the
Alpine Aster (Aster alpinus) belong to them...

Care must be taken with lime loving plants, like pinks....

Calcicole (lime loving) plants include Fraxinus (Ash), Honeysuckle
(Lonicera), Buddleia, Cornus spp (dogwoods), and Clematis spp...

Some plants associated with the Carboniferous limestone and also the
lime-rich sandstones of Lough Navar Forest:

Asplenium marinum
Asplenium ruta-muraria
Asplenium viride
Equisetum pratense
Polystichum lonchitis
Trichomanes speciosum
Arabis hirsuta
Briza media
Dryas octopetala
Euphrasia salisburgensis
Juniperus communis
Meconopsis cambrica
Orthilia secunda
Polypodium cambricum
Pseudorchis albida
Pyrola media
Pyrola minor
Saxifraga aizoides
Sedum rosea
Sesleria caerulea

 Alkaline soil suits lime-loving plants such as alpines and many vegetables,
especially brassicas (kale, rape, swede and turnip). ...

with such lime-loving species as quaking grass, field scabious and salad
burnet... more lime-loving species, including musk thistles which attracted
several butterflies.

 The following lime-loving species live in this habitat:
Ostrya virginiana hop hornbeam
Ranunculus abortivus small flowered crowfoot
Hapatica americana hepatica
Geranium robertianum herb Robert

and saw such lime-loving plants as the three Spleenworts, Asplenium
adiantum-nigrum, A. trichomanes and A. ruta-muraria, Stone Bramble, Early
Purple Orchid, Hoary Whitlow Grass and Downy Oat, but it was pleasant to see
also such things as Bearded Twitch, Geulder Rose and Upright Currant....

Some calcicole plants like the Early Purple Orchid are quite rare.

Well, that's a start anyway.

Kitty