Re: Royal Paulownia

> From: Cersgarden@aol.com
> An ex-neighbor, now living in Pennsylvania, sent an email asking
what I
> thought about Royal Paulownia tree.  I did a search and from what I
gather this is
> a fast growing, invasive tree but has desirable wood used in fine
> projects. I haven't chkd Dirrs book.
>     Do any of you know of this tree and its attributes?
>         Ceres

We have it around here; grows mainly along roadsides from what I've
seen.  Lovely wisteria-like flowers in spring but buds form in summer
on old growth and are cold sensitive so may not flower in cold areas.
 Mostly considered a weed-type tree because it grows fast and seeds
around, but I haven't noticed large areas covered in them or
anything, so I wouldn't class it as invasive; generally only notice
them when in bloom and they sort of fade into the scrub along the
road the rest of the year if they aren't smothered in wild grape or
some other vine like many roadside trees.

I think (will not swear to this) that I read somewhere that it's one
of those trees that if you cut it back hard all the time, the leaves
will come out absolutely huge, making quite an effect in the garden.
Of course, if you do that, you'll never get flowers.

It's not actually a tree I'd go out and spend money for or make space
for in my garden; there are many more worthwhile trees out
there....but if one showed up in the woods, I wouldn't cut it down -
how's that for a nice wishy-washy opinion? :-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :