From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:07:15 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Zone 10

Lately I've had the opposite problem. I try to explain to people they
can<br>overwinter some of their tender perennials, but here they simply
refer to<br>them as annuals. Well, when a Cordyline costs $40, I am not
going to throw<br>it out after 4 months. (well, ok, I only paid about
$5, but the same one is<br>going for $37 at WFF and $40 elsewhere). A
nice Osteospermum can cost about<br>$5 here. Early on it's not much, but
does grow to a nice size by the end of<br>the season. So in Sep 02 I
brought it in and put it back out in May 03,<br>already a nice size. By
the end of the season, it covered 3 times what it<br>had the previous
year. Last Sep, though, I just took cuttings. They pitch<br>Purple
Fountain Grass at the end of each year and buy new, when the
first<br>one has trippled in size. They throw away Caladiums and Cannas,
which<br>could easily be overwintered in storage. I know I sound cheap,
but it's not<br>just that. These are healthy plants and bulbs they just
pitch. I know I<br>can't salvage everything, but I can't quite accept
----- <br>From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org><br>To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2004 6:27
Good things and bad things about zone 10. Good<br>> things are I can
grow orchids, begonias, sweetsops, and avocados<br>> outside--not to
mention mangos, lychees, guavas, bananas, and so on.<br>> Bad things are
most plants northerners value and talk about won't grow<br>> here. I
spend a lot of time at the nursery counseling folks from the<br>> north
about the differences between here and there. It's a lot more<br>> than
"palm verses ash," but that's always a good place to
wrote:<br>><br>> > Jim, I got three of my Epimediums from Darrell Probst
and two from<br>> > P

lant<br>> > Pics - the people who used to own Shady Oaks . These are
Epimedium alpinum 'Rubrum'<br>> > Epimedium x versicolor
'Versicolor'<br>> > Epimedium diphyllum 'Roseum'<br>> > Epimedium x
youngianum 'John Gallagher'<br>> ><br>> > There are some real stunners
in his collection that I'd love to have<br>> > some<br>> > day. Some
listings I see on the internet show that some varieties can<br>> >
be<br>> > grown as far south as Zone 9, but you're in 10, aren't
> From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org><br>> > To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>> > Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2004 4:36
turn to plead ignorance, Kitty. I didn't know what an Epimedium was<br>>
>> but I found this page www.home.earthlink.net/~darrellpro/ that
has<br>> >> pictures of any number of species. Very interesting flowers,
wrote:<br>> >><br>> >>> Jim, I looked it up and the images I saw of the
leaves alone were<br>> >>> enough to<br>> >>> create a desire for the
plants. The flowers are beautiful. I just<br>> >>> love<br>> >>> those
little surprises, most of them in spring, when a long-awaited<br>> >>>
plant<br>> >>> blooms. I am eager to see my first Epimedium flowers this
spring.<br>> >>> And I<br>> >>> hope I don't miss the Bloodroot. It's
such a grand surprise when you<br>> >>> round<br>> >>> the corner and
notice that new leaf, or the long-awaited flower<br>> >>> spike.<br>>
it when you<br>> >>> mention these items. It spurs me on to take a look
at something I<br>> >>> might<br>> >>> never have thought to look up.

Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!<br>> >>
http://www.hort.net/funds/<br>> ><br>> >

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com