Re: "hour of flowers"

Judy,
This clock was one of the ideas that Sheri Ann had for her book - do you
remember her survey last year?  I wrote and asked her if she'd done any more
with the clock and she said she was still working on it and appreciated
finding out about the mention in AARP.  But she didn't have more than that
to tell us.

I looked around and found that, re Linneaus' clock:
"As many of the indicator plants are wildflowers and the opening/closing
times depend on latitude the complexities of planting a floral clock make it
an impractical proposition."
Here are his plants covering about 14 hours:
Scarlett Pimpernel -  Anagalis arvensis  -  8 a.m.
Dandelion - Taxacum officinale  - 9 a.m.
Morning Glory - Ipomoea purpurea -   10 a.m.
Water Lily -  Nymphaea sp. - 11 a.m.
Goatsbeard  -Tragopogon pratensis  - 12 p.m.
California Poppy  -  Escholtzia californica  -  1 p.m.
Chicory  - Cichorium intybus  -  2 p.m.
Four O'clock  -  Mirabilis jalapa   -  4 p.m.
Evening Primrose  -  Oenothera biennis  - 6 p.m.

Also, The idea was taken up by the French composer by Jean Franggais in his
composition L'horologue de flore and the following list gives the hour of
the day, the French names, the botanical and English names of the plants he
chose to represent in music:

03.00 Galant de jour = Day jessamine Cestrum diurnum
05.00 Cupidone bleue = cupid's dart Catananche caerulea
10.00 Cierge a grande fleurs =night-blooming Cereus Selenicereus
grandiflorus
12.0 Nyctanthe du Malabar = night-flowering jasmine Nyctanthus arbor-tristis
17.00 Belle de nuit = Moonflower Ipomaea bona-nox
19.00 Geranium triste = Geranium Pelargonium triste
21.00 Silene noctiflore = night flowering catchfly Silene noctiflora

Kitty