The current trend here is now for garden centers to feature their own
open house/garden show. Most have offered free booth space to area

The larger shows have now been bought out by a service, so free space is
no longer an option. My groups do not have that kind of money either,
not to mention manning power for a 10 day show.

One group of mine (watergardening) does put on a huge week end expo
yearly at the neighborhood fairgrounds. We offer conditional free space
for nonprofit garden related clubs... as in the group has to mention our
expo and pond tour in their club newsletter and we provide some signage
that those members have to display in their area. Helps us get the word
out and we don't have to pound all those signs in the ground ourselves
:) We also ask that they think beyond the box and add some interest to
their booth, rather than just a table and some pamphlets. They are
allowed to promote their club or sell anything garden related. Of course
if you are a business, you pay, but our rates are extremely low (and it
has to be a garden related business). We also provide continuous
seminars, as well as food vendors (youth group clubs only, space free to
them) so you can easily spend an entire day there and not be bored. This
is our 3rd year, and we have once again had to expand to a larger