Re: Battling Bambie

Glad you found it useful Zem, but keep in mind that your herd may
have quite different tastes from mine and they will eat about
anything if they're really hungry.

As far as your baby trees go - Once they get 5 or 6 feet tall, the
danger of being eaten is radically reduced as deer can only reach up
about 5' or so. But, for some reason, bucks seem to pick small
caliper trees to rub their antlers on, which can do serious damage.
So, I'd keep those wire circles around those trees until the trunks
get at least 4 or 5: in diameter - just to be safe.

I don't know why they don't seem to like Rugosa roses, but they never
ate mine, either, while they simply love all other kinds...I don't
know the Chestnut rose.

Current wisdom is not to feed them because that just encourages them
and means they are more inclined to procreate than if they're not
getting adequate nutrition.  But, if it keeps them off the garden,
it's an option, I guess.

Rich, much as I have learned to hate the destruction deer are capable
of, I don't think I could actually poison or even shoot one.
Actually, given their ability to eat plants that are poisonous to
livestock with no problems; troughs of poison would either be ignored
or would have no effect:-)

Jim - have to agree with you.  Thing about deer is the Bambi factor
and if you look a fawn in the face, you can see where it comes from.
They are truly charming creatures.  Problem is that we have removed
all their natural predators and only replaced them with chance
encounters with the automobile.  IMO, the only way to keep the
population under control is hunting - or harvesting if you want to
call it that.  I have difficulty with a people who scarf beef but get
up in arms at the idea of culling deer herds to save our forests (not
to mention our gardens and numerous lives lost in encounters with
cars) and keep the herds healthy.  If we are going to interfere with
the natural balance of wildlife by removing predators, we have to
face the obligation to keep the populations under control by other
means.  It's pretty well been proven that trying birth control meds
on them doesn't work.  Relocation doesn't work.  The only thing left
is culling the herds by hunting them.  Hopefully, one of these days,
the majority will wake up to this fact.  I am not, however, sanguine.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi