Re: Re: Zone 10/ saving plants

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> Here's a stupid question.  If all this stuff is left in the ground
> rot.....
> Does it improve the soil?

Not at all a stupid question... Yes, eventually, it would improve the
soil when it totally breaks down - any organic material will improve
soil.  But, for stuff like big Colocasia rhizomes and Canna tubers,
you first have a mucky mess...really icky.  If you ignore it and
leave the spot alone, by late summer it ought to have pretty well
disintegrated.  I tend to shovel it out and heave it on the compost
heap just so I can plant something where the rotted mess was.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :