Re: Myrtle question

And, if that's not confusing enough, the wax myrtle [Myrica cerifera], an evergreen, is native to the southeastern U.S,

On Tuesday, February 24, 2004, at 02:37 PM, Kitty wrote:

Jesse,
RHS lists 61 plants within 45 genera that use the common name Myrtle in some
way.
With some googling I found that Myrtle is an evergreen shrub that grows wild
throughout the Mediterranean. One essential oil site refers to Myrica gale,
which uses common names:
BOG MYRTLE;SWEETGALE;COMMON CANDLEBERRY;
DEVONSHIRE MYRTLE;DUTCH MYRTLE;GALE;GOLDEN OSIER;
MEADOW FERN;MOOR MYRTLE;SWEET WILLOW

More likely, though it is Myrtus communis, Common name: Myrtle, described
below:

MYRTLE ESSENTIAL OIL
Botanical Name: Myrtus communis - Plant Part: blossom
Extraction Method: steam - Country of Origin: France Plant: This small
evergreen bush (about 4 meters or 14 feet) has glossy leaves that are blue-
green in colour and red- brown bark. The Myrtle produces scented white
flowers with five petals, and purple- black berries in season. Oil: The oil
is taken from the blossoms, and is a pale yellow colour. Myrtle oil can been
used as an antibacterial agent and antiseptic. It has been said to aid in
clearing to the sinuses, and aleviating excessive moisture in the bronchial
areas. Myrtle has been used to assist in treating the symptoms of
respiratory system conditions such as asthma, bronchitis, catarrhal
conditions, chronic coughs, colds and flu. Myrtle may also regulate the
genito-urinary system, and is said to have antiseptic properties that may
help to clear cystitis, as well as help to loosen general congestion of the
pelvic organs. Myrtle can also be used in skin care for congested or oily
skin, and is useful for open pores, acne and blemishes. Scent: Fresh,
slightly sweet and penetrating. Suggested Blends: Bergamot, Cardamon, Clary
sage, Coriander, Dill, Eucalyptus, Ginger, Lemon, Lemongrass, Rosewood,
Rosemary, Spearmint, Thyme or Tea Tree.

Kitty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jesse Bell" <jesserenebell@hotmail.com> To: <gardenchat@hort.net> Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 2:16 PM Subject: [CHAT] Myrtle question

O.K., I use this fragrance (Myrtle) that I buy online for my glycerine
soaps.  It is not an essential oil but a fragrance oil.  When I try to
find
a "fragrant myrtle" plant on the internet....I get totally confused. What
plant, that is called "Myrtle" smells so GOOD? A very sweet, clean
fragrance. I feel so blonde...but I had NO IDEA how many plants are in
the
myrtle family!!!

Jesse Rene' Bell
Claremore, OK
Zone 6

Watch high-quality video with fast playback at MSN Video. Free!

http://www.hort.net/funds/

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
Zone 10