Re: bluebirds

They also like the entrance to be facing east. (The gentleman who started building and promoting bluebird boxes came from Quincy, IL.)
Cathy, z5b, Quincy, IL
On Tuesday, February 24, 2004, at 06:15 PM, pdickson wrote:

Thanks Pam, I followed all the suggestions on the bluebird web site... like
only so high .... on a fence away from trees... away for the prevailing
winds... and placed them 100 yards apart... I have been told that I need
to just be patient and keep them cleaned out. A master gardener has them on
the other side of town out in a subdivision with lot of cedar trees around.
I guess they just have to find me.
Patricia

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pamela J. Evans" <gardenqueen@gbronline.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 12:44 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] bluebirds

If I remember correctly - bluebirds can be territorial and you should
place the boxes 100 feet apart or something like that. They won't nest
too close to each other. Will try to look that up when I get home, but I
think that's right.

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: "pdickson" <pdickson@sbcglobal.net> Reply-To: gardenchat@hort.net Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:35:25 -0600

This past weekend we had over 20 robins in our yard.... but now it is
cold,
overcast, windy and just not springy at all. Do they just come up to
look
for a place to live?
I am still trying to get bluebirds interested. I put up 5 boxes 2 years
ago just like the instructions say but I still haven't seen a bluebird.
Is
there anything that I can do to make them want to move in?
Patricia
zone 6b