From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Kitty
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 6:23 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Slugger

I've mentioned Slugger a few times - he's the tough tomcat that rules
the neighborhood who decided to spend the winter with us.  He often
sleeps in my chair in the family room most of the day and heads out at
night to see who he can beat up.  He's become very friendly and will
curl up in my lap....to the consternation of Mick who absolutely hates
his guts.

I had told my vet that I don't want another cat but that I'd like to
neuter him if I could get him to let me pick him up.  He said to bring
him in anytime.  Same day service.  However, after joining the ranks of
the UnE, I called to see if anything else would be required.  The total
came to $170, so I've let it slide.  He won't let me pick him up anyway.

Well, Slugger suddenly became very ill; limp as a ragdoll.  So I slid
him into the carrier with nary a struggle and hauled him off to see
Uncle Hugh. Apparently he had some celulitis happening in his leg and a
scratch in a delicate area.  Dr. said he wasn't all that ill and could
be neutered and started in about the Feluk and FIV tests.  He doesn't
want to neuter a cat just to then let it run around spreading disease.
I explained why I couldn't manage that and he just said, "Oh, we'll just
do it for free then!"
I protested, but he insisted.   He also lowered the rate on the
castration a
bit from what I was quoted AND didn't charge me for antibiotic
injection. So Slugger got neutered, treatment for wounds, and
vaccinations for Rabies/Dist/Calci/Rhino-TR, tested for Feluk and FIV (
both negative! ) for all of $83.

I hate to ask for reduced rates, but I just can't spend $200 on another
cat. However, between the doctor and myself I feel we're both doing our
share for a stray that needs help and for the community to prevent the
spread of disease and also to tame the neighborhood bully - eventually
MUCH appreciated by the other cats.

So that's the update on Slugger, if anyone was interested.

Kitty

http://www.hort.net/funds/

http://www.hort.net/funds/