From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:22:45 -0500
Subject: [CHAT] Slugger

I've mentioned Slugger a few times - he's the tough tomcat that rules
the<br>neighborhood who decided to spend the winter with us. He often
sleeps in my<br>chair in the family room most of the day and heads out
at night to see who<br>he can beat up. He's become very friendly and
will curl up in my lap....to<br>the consternation of Mick who absolutely
hates his guts.<br><br>I had told my vet that I don't want another cat
but that I'd like to neuter<br>him if I could get him to let me pick him
up. He said to bring him in<br>anytime. Same day service. However, after
joining the ranks of the UnE, I<br>called to see if anything else would
be required. The total came to $170,<br>so I've let it slide. He won't
let me pick him up anyway.<br><br>Well, Slugger suddenly became very
ill; limp as a ragdoll. So I slid him<br>into the carrier with nary a
struggle and hauled him off to see Uncle Hugh.<br>Apparently he had some
celulitis happening in his leg and a scratch in a<br>delicate area. Dr.
said he wasn't all that ill and could be neutered and<br>started in
about the Feluk and FIV tests. He doesn't want to neuter a cat<br>just
to then let it run around spreading disease. I explained why
I<br>couldn't manage that and he just said, "Oh, we'll just do it for
free then!"<br>I protested, but he insisted. He also lowered the rate on
the castration a<br>bit from what I was quoted AND didn't charge me for
antibiotic injection.<br>So Slugger got neutered, treatment for wounds,
and vaccinations for<br>Rabies/Dist/Calci/Rhino-TR, tested for Feluk and
reduced rates, but I just can't spend $200 on another cat.<br>However,
between the doctor and myself I feel we're both doing our share for<br>a
stray that needs help and for the community to prevent the spread
of<br>disease and also to tame the neighborhood bully - eventually

    http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><br>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com