FW: noah and the hibiscus

A message from DF to you all !

Theresa
-----Original Message-----
From: David Franzman [mailto:dfranzma@pacbell.net]
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 8:20 PM
To: Tchessie
Subject: noah and the hibiscus

Theresa, would you be so kind as to send this along.  That will save me from
the frustration of trying to get on to Gardenchat again.  As you know I'm
handicapped when it comes to computers.

Hi folks

Hope  you are all well.  I miss the list.  Thought I would share another
saga in the story of the neophyte nursery guy.  I was in the midst of
filling my third greenhouse.  We have roughly 7,500 sq. ft. and right now
about 6,000 plants in various stages of growth.  I had just received a
shipment of 1,000 in 4" pots which my kids took out of the boxes and since
we didn't have tables in this new greenhouse they put them on the gravel
floor.  The very next day we received somewhere in the neighborhood of 6" of
rain in two days.  (Theresa and Barbara I don't how much you received but we
got drenched.)

There is a small feeder stream within 15 yards of this greenhouse no. 3 but
I was assured several times over the last year and a half that they didn't
flood.  After these rains of biblical proportions subsided I went back to
check on my plants and they were gone.  All 1,000!  Not one still in the gh.
Upon further investigation I opened the back door and it looked like
somebody had thrown my plants out the door.  I suspected vandals.  Energetic
vandals but vandals nonetheless.  My plants were strewn around outside the
back door all facing in the same direction.  Looking closer it seemed that
my vandals on steroids even went to the trouble of covering the plants in
mud and flotsam.  I was steaming mad.  Who would do this to me and for what
reason I was asking myself.

As I kept looking I saw one of my plants in a tree overhanging the creek at
about head height intermixed with dead grass and other stuff.  It finally
dawned on this Sherlock Holmes that maybe we had had a flood and that each
and everyone of my plants had been washed out the back door.  After talking
to the others here in the neighborhood apparently a wall of water over 2'
high came through from the vineyards that surround the property and washed
right through my gh.

To make this long story longer my wife came and we began to dig the plants
out of the rubbish.  We found some over 300 yards away in the vineyards.  We
had to dig them out some buried over a foot deep in mud and stuff.  We might
spot a little green here or a pot there or even an identification marker and
there we would dig.  I told my wife we needed a Hibiscus sniffing dog.  Many
of the plants were intertwined in berry bushes which were unmerciful with
their thorns.  We did manage to find about 750 of the original 1,000 of
which we will probably resituate maybe 650.  It definitely could have been
worse.

The next day we built tables and potted up the survivors.  Good thing too
because just last weekend we had another foot of water in the gh after
another 3" of rain.  When I asked the women I lease from about the water her
reply was...get this...it was really not a flood.  The water just moves
right on through.  Ok, I'm a little confused by the subtle difference but
I'm sure there is one.  Anyway she is such a nice lady that I can't be mad
at her.

Hope you didn't mind that I share this with you.  Life continues to be an
interesting voyage.

David Franzman
A Touch of the Tropics
www.atouchofthetropics.net