Re: hum.../hellebores

Well, Donna, depends on what you planted and whether you cut off the
foliage last fall.  I have seen new signs of growth (flower buds)
only on my oldest hybrid clump.  None of my newer plants are showing
bud at all.  H. foetidus is in bloom, but it's always earliest.  I
have several that I only hope will come back from the roots - mostly
H. argutifolius and hybrids of same - really look awful right now.

Given that yours is a new plant, and your climate is considerably
colder than mine (tho' I won't swear for this winter!) I would not
worry, but give them some time.  If, by mid March you are not seeing
any signs of life, then you may need to do some investigative poking
around to see if you have roots or a growing point there.  But, not
to worry right now.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade