Re: vole damage pics

In a message dated 2/29/04 4:13:31 PM, kmrsy@comcast.net writes:

<< Hard to tell yet about plant damage.  I'm concerned about damage to a bed
of
100 baby hostas.  >>

Kitty, I don't believe they feed on grubs as someone suggested.  They like
plant roots, bulbs, bark, etc.  Last spring I found one of my mature Sedum
'Autumn Joy'  sitting on top of the ground appearing as if someone had very nicely
dug the plant.  I believe someone on this list experienced the same with
hosta.  This was in the location of the vole evidence.  Several yrs ago we covered
our roses in 'styrofoam caskets' (lg rect. boxes) until the voles took
residency inside the caskets and stripped the bark from all the rose canes.  I had to
trim all the canes back to the ground and returned to the use of cones.
    My neighbor just told me this afternoon, the lg mounds of what I thought
was rabbit droppings were deer.  Are rabbit and deer droppings nearly the same?
    Ceres