Re: vole damage pics

Yikes, Kitty, they were having fun in your garden this winter!  I
know I have similar under the leaves out in the woodland garden; have
seen some signs of surface tunnels.  Hope they didn't hit your hosta
babies but if you've got voles, they will find them.  They chewed the
roots off half a dozen large clumps for me last year as well as a
rather large Aralia cordata.  Finally just dug them all up and
planted them in  5 gal. nursery pots with the bottoms off; sunk in
the ground with bottom filled with 3/4" driveway gravel and top of
pot about 3" out of the ground.  I'm hoping that will foil the little
beggars.  No telling what they did under the snow we had, but so far
the pots look OK.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> Hard to tell yet about plant damage.  I'm concerned about damage to
a bed of
> 100 baby hostas.  That's where the red-arrow-marked trail led to.
Of course