Re: ginger > zones

Yes, I remember that. But the data in that narrow span were added to the original data base. And portions of the original data base go back to Lincoln's administration, or whenever the U.S. Weather Bureau was created. The bureau was, until 1940 or 41, part of USDA. When it was transferred from USDA to the Commerce Department, USDA tried to make the case that it was the better husband of frost and freeze and published as the 1941 Yearbook "Climate and Man," a tome of some 1,250 or so pages, that contains the data from all of the U.S. weather stations up to that time in a very large number of tables.

Those data are the basis of the original hardiness zone map. All subsequent revisions to the hardiness map have been the result of new data being added to the original data, not de novo calculations based on the latest reporting period.