Re: Weekend Report

These dates are not edible, Donna. Don't think they'd harm you--just very little flesh between that plastic-like skin and the pit. I don't know how old the tree is; it was here when we bought the place. Whoever planted it, however, planted it under the power line, so we had one of the nursery crews move it before the power company decided to behead it.

And, yes, one sees lots of fruit trees in the neighborhoods--mango, because many of them are so colorful, are easily spotted. And, of course, citrus. Almost every house has some kind of citrus tree. Bananas, sometimes. Lots of loquats because it is frequently used as a small landscape tree. Papayas, coconuts, lychees and longans. Citrus and mango are by far the most common, though. Kind of like apples and peaches up north.