Re: Gene's Article

Hello Chris,
Equipment is only part of the equation, but ... I use a Canon 35 mm Rebel with my money in a good lens. All the slides were take through a Canon 100mm macro. Set upon a steady tripod with a cable release. All were taken in early morning at first light or within a two hour period of that time. I take my hot tea, camera and notebook and go into the garden first thing in the morning, just kind of be out there and let the photos come to me.
Rue Anemone is nice with ferns... I also use blue wood phlox the same way.. phlox divaricata ... I think with equal effect. George Baker seeds nicely but you have to cull.. a few will always come up the normal lavender. Will not exactly take over the garden, but will eventually make a nice drift. It is a cultivar from species solida.
Fine Gardening contacted me and we talked. They send out an editor to photo our gardens and chat. Took a bit over a year for us to agree upon an article and it be scheduled into the magazine. American Gardener contacted me, as have most of the magazines, but not all. I have written text and contacted the editor of a magazine and pitched the concept. Afraid I do not have the time to do all the writing I would like to do. I enjoy the writing, but there is a nursery to run here. There is all kinds of advice out there about getting published. Most I read after I was published so I did not know I could not do many of the thing I did.....;-)
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

----- Original Message ----- From: <Chris@widom-assoc.com>

I just got my issue of Fine Gardening and immediately read your article.
Your photos are gorgeous! Could you tell us what equipment you used to
shoot the pictures?

I loved your garden when I visited a few years back. I'll have to make a
return trip someday. I think that the combination of Anemonella
thalictoides with the Christmas ferns is stunning. I will have to add rue
anemones to my fern beds! I have a nice clump of Strawberry begonias. They
have spread over a period of years and look beautiful in bloom. Corydalis
solida 'George Baker' is new to me. Does it reliably come back. Does it
seed around much?

How do you go about getting an article published in a major magazine? I
always wanted to submit something, but never knew how.

In reference to getting your copy of FG, when I got a tip published they
sent me a copy of the tips page and an extra copy of the issue! You wrote
an article and didn't get squat? Sounds odd, but I guess that the Tips
Editor probably sent the extra copy.

Wonderful job!

Long Island, NY
Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)