Re: broken ribs

Damn, that's funny, David. Think I'm going to have to learn how to ski.

On Tuesday, February 8, 2005, at 02:22 PM, David Franzman wrote:

Uh, hi! Well my wife says I'm up for a Darwin Award. Well, had it been more
serious I would have been up for the award. I've been skiing since I was a
kid and I like to ski fairly fast. I do have one bane on my skiiing
experience and that is that ski boots kill my feet. They twist my feet into
unnatural positions cutting off circulation. And women thought mamograms were
bad you ought to try and force yourself into boots that don't fit and then ski
in them. So, I bought myself some new boots. Well, they don't hurt as bad as
some but they aren't exactly loafers either.
So, about 2pm I unbuckled my boots and went merrily down the hill racing past
my son and nephew. Ha! They still can't catch me. Then it was time to stop
on a dime and if you've ever skied that entails throwing your skis sideways to
the mountain. The faster you are going the more snow you throw with the skis.
Very impressive especially for impressionable young lads. Only problem this
time was that I literally skied right out of my unbucked boots.

As I was mid-air heading head first toward the downhill slope in a battle
against gravity...which I was loosing badly...I remember thinking first "I
wonder what happened" and second "this is going to hurt." Sure enough a ski,
a pole or maybe even my boot slammed into my ribs. I'm not sure if it
happened while in the air or right after I hit the ground and slid about
twenty feet but it knocked the air out of me and I lay stunned for about 30 or
40 seconds. I didn't want to seem like a weeny because the boys were behind
me and I was right under the chairlift with people pointing with their mouths
wide open.

When I sat up I looked up the hill and there by golly was one ski with the
boot still attached. I quickly looked down at my foot to make sure it wasn't
in the boot as well. Fortunately, it was still attached to my ankle. I was
much relieved. I knew my side hurt but what could I do? I went skiing again
for a few more runs. That night was agony!

It's now three weeks later and I can move around with more freedom, cough
without too much pain and even bend over. Life is good again and we're
planning another skiing weekend. The weather was so nice last time I might
ski in shorts this time.

DF
http://www.atouchofthetropics.net

Island Jim